Per the Bureau of Women’s Affairs enabling legislation, Public Law 21-23, the BWA mandates are:
- To formulate policies to eliminate gender discrimination throughout the government of Guam and the private sector:
- To study and make recommendations on issues of particular concern to women, and on widening the access of persons of both genders to all positions and aspects of the community:
- To review and submit recommended legislation to the Legislature addressing the gender inequities in current laws:
- To be responsible for closely monitoring issues and legislation relating to gender discrimination, and to advise the Governor and the Legislature of issues on such discrimination along with proposed recommendations for action; and
- To select representatives to attend national conventions and other forums where issues concerning gender discrimination are to be discussed and acted upon.